Go ahead and watch the video then come back for my rebuttal
This list annoyed me, mostly because it takes a conceit, then makes a list then makes the conceit fit. The Conceit being people value customer service over other things (or at least it appears to, I’ll not try to determine if that was where things started, but it appears to be the case)
- Amazon didn’t win because of customer service. Amazon is difficult to use if you aren’t already familiar with how the Internet works. There are no sales people and no experts to tell you which is better when comparing things. You have to seek that out. Amazon is CHEAPER. That’s where Amazon won. It was cheaper than the store for pricey items and it’s fun to get things in the mail.
- Netflix did kill Blockbuster; because it was more convenient to get DVDs in the mail and watch things online than it was to go to the store. Notice that online game rental services aren’t really tearing up the charts though? Yeah. but STEAM? BUCKETS OF MONEY. People like convenience, the late fees didn’t enter into it. If Blockbuster wanted to win, they would have opened mini stores in theaters and sold downloads of the movies that people had just watched and upsold Physical copies with special features.- Also DOWNLOADING killed Blockbuster, free and convenient? YES!
- Uber makes money by not having to pay for licensing and maintenance. There. That’s not success, that’s piracy.
- Apple didn’t invent singles, they negotiated the ability to sell them in a way that was convenient to people. Again, being able to buy things without leaving the spot where you are is always going to be better than having to go to a store. Had HMV made the same deal or better then Apple might still be the also ran they are.
- Air BnB is Uber for houses. They sell you and make money from your property and you get some too. Yay!
All of these things have the same thing in common, someone is able to achieve their goal without having to leave the spot they are sitting in. When someone invents a viable teleporter you can wear as underwear people will buy it so they don’t have to leave the couch to drop a deuce. You get me?
It’s not customer service that killed the toilet paper industry, it was teleporting underpants.
This is the way the world ends…. not with a bang
I’ve come across this list; it’s by Charles Sykes; not Bill Gates. Bill Gates’ list is one entry “Be born to wealthy parents”
———-Whether you like Bill Gates or not…this is pretty
cool. Here’s some advice Bill Gates recently dished out
at a high school speech about 11 things they did not
learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,
politically correct teaching has created a full
generation of kids with no concept of reality and how
this concept sets them up for failure in the real
Life is not fair – get used to it.
The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world
will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel
good about yourself.
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out
of high school. You won’t be a vice president with
car phone, until you earn both.
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a
boss. He doesn’t have tenure.
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
called it Opportunity.
If you mess up,it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t
whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as
they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about
how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent’s generation, try
delousing the closet in your own room.
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished
failing grades and they’ll give you as many times as
you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the
slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.
Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for
I’ve written my own list below with Better Rules that aren’t written by someone who has forgotten how to live.
If you have an Alienware X51 and want windows 10, this is for YOU!
Essentially; post install of Windows 10, the Screen is going to be on the ON-BOARD video; not your good video card, so you need to hook up an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the back of your unit and proceed from there, then DISABLE that video card in Windows once you are done.
You might think that headlines like “Christian Pastor Sentenced To One Year In Prison” and “To One Year In Prison After Refusing To Marry Gay Couple” are all about the much-prophesied criminalization of being a Christ Fearin’ God-Botherer. However there is a note that appears in the story that explains why in the Case of “Paul Horner” the Crucifxes and pitchforks can be left aside:
The criminal investigation found out that the Christian Proctor Church is registered in the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.” However, the church is also registered as a for-profit business; therefore, its owners must comply with state and federal laws.
HOWEVER, there was something tacked onto the story at NAIJ.COM a Nigerian website that I thought bore another look:
The Thing about this is it reminds me of something I saw on John Oliver
“Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve”
It’s right there in the image block; and a bit about how America is God’s own Country.
Where. oh where, would a series of Nigerians get that Idea I wonder?