And suddenly – it is silent – but you’re seeing explosions and phaser fire and torpedoes ripping away at the ship – and it is silent – and the science GEEK in me died of happiness a bit.
Harry Knowles on why the new “Star Trek” will Fail
I received this note because NathanW thinks I am a literary geek.
1) What author do you own the most books by?
William Gibson if you don’t include Comics/Graphic Novels | Warren Ellis if you do
2) What book do you own the most copies of?
3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
No, this is an informal questionnaire.
4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Spider Jerusalem, it’s a bromance.
5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
Hmmm…. This is another of those, if you count Comics deal…
Starship Troopers if it’s just Novels
The Transmetropolitain series if you include Comics
6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Adventures with Hal?
7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
The show that Smells. AWFUL!
8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
A World made by hand.
9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Choke by Chuck Palinuick
10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?
The Show that Smells
15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Paul of Dune
16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?
Can’t say any of them have been obscure.
17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
18) Roth or Updike?
19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer
Chaucer, but I haven’t read him.
21) Austen or Eliot?
22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
This past six months.
23) What is your favorite novel?
Hard to choose.
As you like it.
Files. By me.
The Singapore one by William Gibson
27) Short story?
Petra by Greg BEar.
28) Work of nonfiction?
No Black,s Irish Dogs, the Johnny Rotten Biography.
29) Who is your favorite writer?
Warren Ellis & Chuck Paliniuck
30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Orson Scott Card
31) What is your desert island book?
Emergency Survival Guide of some sort.
32) And… what are you reading right now?
A Wild Cards novel, forget the name (they are all kinda trashy) just finished Blood Crazy and Paul of Dune